Thursday 24 October 2013

Day In the Life




My Life in 1900

Dear Diary . . .
  
My name is Elizabeth and I live in England.
I am 19 years old. At the moment I live in a rich house with my parents. I am not married yet but my parents are looking for a rich gentleman so I can get engaged to him and live up to the family name. My father really chooses the gentleman whereas my mother respects his decisions because he is the man of the house. My mother’s job is to persuade me to marry him but I’m not sure if I’m quite ready yet. I guess I don’t have much of a choice. 


Every morning I would wake up early in the morning and have a warm bath that the maids in the house would start up before I woke up and my mother would pick out my outfit for the day and the maids would dress me. My outfit would usually be a corset top with a big puffy skirt that is long to the ground. My corset would be very tight around the waist to show my figure and to look feminine and posh. My neck to the dress and sleeves would be very long so that there is no skin showing. Mother always says it is important to cover up because people here are very religious.
 
After breakfast I would get home taught by a private tutor. Even though I’m a girl education is very important because I come from a rich family. Mother always says I have to be smart and clever to bring up my own children and grow my own family one day.  


At evening I would gather around with all the rich neighbours which are a friend of my mothers and have tea. I pretty much just sit around and listen to all the latest gossips. Sometimes I would sit with mother and hand stitch embroidery on a piece of cloth as a hobby. Another hobby I have is reading, I love reading and finding out the latest news on the news paper. 
  
At weekends I would go to house parties with my parents where there is tea served with little cakes and sandwiches. The music that would be played is always calm and classical. There would usually be a pianist in the corner of the room playing classical music on the piano.
In parties and occasions I wear long dresses with a big matching hat and white gloves to keep myself covered and looking posh. 
    
I would rather live in 2013 rather than 1900 because in 2013 women have equal rights as men and they can dress however they want without anybody judging them. However I really like the style of the dresses in 1900 because the dress has a corset with it which looks very elegant and I also like the big posh hats because it is very stylish.

http://www.localhistories.org/20thcent.html 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WckSWrQlSaQ

No comments:

Post a Comment