Sunday 12 January 2014

Artist Research - Circus Cabaret

Alexander McQueen
Alexander McQueen is a catwalk design who was born in the East End of London in 1970.
To design his dresses Alexander McQeen is inspired by birds and butterflies. His garments include alot of feathers, butterfly wings with huge head pieces and big skirts. The dresses by Alexander MaQueen I have looked at are the garments inspired by birds because that is my theme.
 This dress by Alexander McQueen is very puffy and red with black prints of birds flying on it. The bird prints on the bottom of the dress are quite big and the prints on the top of the dress are very small which looks like a checkered pattern. This could give me an idea for my final design by looking at the bird prints and printing birds onto my final dress.

 This dress is made out of white thick feathers for the top of the dress and fluffy white feathers for the bottom of the dress. The skirt is very big and looks quite heavy to wear. The sleeves of the dress are short and the neck it long. This dress inspires me because I could make my top similar using feathers in different colours of tropical birds.
This dress by mcQeen is very colourful, he has used a variety of colours making it muli-coloured like a tropical bird such as a parrot. The dress has prints of detailed patterns and the color of the dress if made out of feathers. The feathers go from short to long and spike up pointy at the back. This dress inspires me because I could make my garment very colourful like the tropical birds and use a variety of bright colours.

Christopher Kane
Christopher Kane is a catwalk fashion designer who was born in Scotland.
 
On this dress Christopher has layered circle shaped on top of each other making it look like feathers. The colour he has used is nude. I could use this dress as an inspiration by layering shapes and making it look like feathers.  

 On this dress Christopher has done thin pleats on the skirt which looks like a birds wing. He has also created stripes for the top. I could use this dress as an inspiration by creating pleats on my final dress to make it look like wings.
 Here is another dress Christopher has created by layering circle shapes. I really like this technique because it is interesting and unique.

Trish Summerville
Trish Summerville is a costume designer who designed costumes for the movie hunger games. The costumes she designed for the movie hunger games was inspired by birds.
This costume by Trish is inspired by a bird. She has used feathers to create the shoulders of the dress. The feathers are res and the dress is black which makes the shoulders stand out from rest of the dress. I could use this as an inspiration by using eathers on my dress to show that it is inspired by birds.

This costume by Trish also has feathers and wings. It is made out of metal materials and the colour gold. She has used the colour gold. I could use this costume as an inspiration by using other materials on my dress and not just fabric to make it more interesting.

This is another costume from the movie hunger games. The costume is of a bird. She has added big black wings for the sleeves of the dress. I could use this as an inspiration by adding huge wings onto my costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment